Friday, July 18, 2008

Yoga Mats


So I am a yoga fanatic. Yoga Freak. Yogini if you will. I love to start my day with a half hour finyasa to stretch out and prepare my body for my day of playing with my baby. Yoga is a great way to stay centered and keep a sound mind. I have just one question...why do all the props and clothing have to cost so damn much?! I was looking at yoga mats to get one for Jeremy and the cheapest one that I saw was like 50 bucks. I bought mine for about that much, but that was a long time ago before my money started going towards bills and baby stuff. I saw some that were up in th 150$ range!!!
Yoga also teaches about not worrying about money and worldly possessions, so why is everything yoga inspired so expensive?! I saw an OM necklace that looked pretty cheap and it was like 30$!! 30 bucks for a small plastic medallion on a black cord?! Seriously?!
Don't even get me started on the clothes! There are all these ads in my Yoga Journal magazine and I go to check them out because some of the stuff is pretty cute, but I can't afford that! I pair of pants will put a hole in my pocket about 60 dollars deep!
I don't go to classes or anything, I follow a DVD or watch the latest classes on yogajournal.com so I don't really feel the need to get all decked out in the latest Karma gear, but some of it is really cute! I mean, I'd wear it even if I weren't doing yoga. It just looks comfortable and is in such cute stlyes...but seriously! My Adidas outfits cost less than this stuff!
That is just one thing about yoga that drives me insane. It's become such a big A-list thing to do, that all these companies have sold out. Yoga should be a simple, meditative thing and it's turned into some Hollywood joke.
I do yoga for the fitness and the relaxation. Doing yoga regularly keeps me nice and limber so anytime I do any other kind of physical activity (like running) I don't get cramps or sore.
I recommend yoga to all of my friends out there. It's a great way to keep loose and a great way to start your day. I know I have better days when I start with some yoga. Just please, friends, don't get caught up in the hype of the yogini. Don't spend 60 bucks on some pants just because it has the Gaiam symbol on it. Go get some cute sweats at Wal Mart!
Namaste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this makes me want to start trying yoga...