Sunday, March 14, 2010

Healthy and Yummy Fettuccine Alfredo

In Runner's World Magazine there was a feature of Rocco Dispirito's new cook book, and with it there was a recipe that suits runners quite well. When you run, you need a lot of carbs to give you energy, but you need the HEALTHY carbs, not the bad ones! Fettuccine Alfredo is a popular dish for runners, but the heavy cream used in the sauce is not the healthiest thing in the world. We started with whole wheat fettuccine instead of the traditional kind. Then instead of heavy cream for the sauce we used greek yogurt and low-sodium, low-fat chicken broth. It was quite delicious and had fresh garlic, grated Parmesan, and ground nutmeg. The dish was so creamy and tasty, and it would have been better if I let the fettuccine cook a little longer. I think I was really excited for the sauce and drained it too quickly. We'll probably have this again next week some time! Yum!


Served with whole wheat dinner rolls


So yummy!


Jer enjoyed it.


Layla did not. She stuck to grapes and bread.

3 comments:

vwestermeyer said...

I will have to try this recipe! I found your blog thru another and enjoyed reading several of your posts. What a beautiful family

Sandra said...

That sounds really good, yum.

Oh and I added the html code for the Postcard Exchange button on my blog, sorry about that, I totally forgot when I first posted :)

Glad you're joining in!

Jenna said...

Thank you veestermeyer =) I checked out your blog as well. We both seem to be wanting the same thing rightnow: spring!!
I will post the recipe this evening when I get home. I am on my phone on a drive into the city. And Sandra I'll put the button up as well! I'm really excited about the postcard exchange!